Roding Primary School


Special Educational Needs and Disability Information Report
Roding Primary School

The SEND information report gives information about children with a Special Educational Need (SEN) or a Disability. It sets out how we support children so that they make good progress.

As we are a split site primary school there are two Special Educational Needs Coordinators (SENCOs). They are:

Ms S. Welch – Hewett Road Site (Education for all O.U) 020 8270 6640

Mrs R. Jimènez – Cannington Road Site (Na SENCO accreditation) 020 8270 4010

Our SEN Governor is: Mrs S. Small 020 8270 4010

We also have two Every Child Matters coordinators:

Hewett Road site: Mrs. Caden 020 8270 6640

Cannington road site: Ms. Camp 020 8270 4010

If you wish to contact any of the above via email please use this address:

SEN Information can also be found in the SEN Policy. Information on the accessibility arrangments can be found in the school's Accessibility Plan.

At Roding we strive to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school.

At present we support children with:

  • Behavioural difficulties
  • Hearing Impairment
  • Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
  • Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder ADHD
  • Speech and Language Difficulties (not severe speech disorders)
  • Moderate Learning Difficulties
  • Physical Disabilities
  • Medical Conditions (that impact school life)

Who should I talk to about my child's difficulties or disability?

A child with SEN has significantly greater difficulties in learning than his/her peers. Your child has a disability if they have a physical or mental impairment and the impairment has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.

If you have any concerns about your child, the first person you should speak to is your child's class teacher. The SENCO may also become involved depending on the outcome of the meeting with the teacher.

Parents may contact the SENCO directly about their concerns via the school office.

How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child's learning?

Class teachers continually monitor the progress and wellbeing of children by checking the work they do, observing their interaction with others and their behaviour. Regular assessments are carried out in reading writing and maths. From these assessments each child is given a National Curriculum level every term.

Each term you will have the opportunity to make an appointment with the class teacher to discuss your child's attainment, progress, the targets they are working on and any difficulties they may have. Meanwhile, if you have any concerns you are welcome to make an appointment with the class teacher or SENCo. Similarly the school may contact you to share information and concerns.

The progress of pupils is tracked termly. One reason for this is to identify children who are not making the expected progress. The Assistant Head for the Key Stage meets with each class teacher to discuss all pupils and the progress they have made. Children who may need extra support are identified.

There is a weekly SEN panel meeting, on each site, where staff involved in SEN and pupil welfare meet to monitor and discuss:

  • - Children who are not making progress (as outlined above)
  • - Children who teachers have concerns about
  • - The attendance of pupils
  • - Children whose behaviour or emotional well-being is a cause for concern
  • - Any parental concerns that require further action/support from an outside agency
  • - Children receiving support from outside agencies
  • - Strategies and/or next steps for individuals and groups of children
  • - Class, playtime and lunchtime behaviour

If there are any concerns relating to your child the school will arrange to meet with you to discuss this in more detail and to:
  • - Listen to any concerns you have
  • - Plan any additional support (this may involve adding the child to the SEN register)
  • - Discuss any referrals to outside agencies who can support your child.

How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND and what types of support is available?

High quality first teaching ensures that all pupils' needs are catered for when lessons are planned.
This means that:

  • - Teachers have high expectations of all pupils.
  • - Differentiation (matching the task to the child's ability) is used to ensure all children are involved in their learning. (They might have practical equipment to support them.)
  • - When planning lessons, class teachers take into account the particular needs of children and what a child already knows to ensure that they make progress.
  • - Additional adults are used effectively to support pupils within the classroom.
  • - Specific resources and strategies may be used to support a child so they can participate in all activities within the school.
  • - Specialist equipment may be used e.g. sloping table top.

The above support is available for all children.

In addition your child may be part of one (or more) of the following regular interventions:
  • - Withdrawal in small groups for catch up literacy and numeracy programmes led by a full time Interventions teacher or trained classroom assistant.
  • - Small catch up group for EYFS children identified as needing extra support (lead by a nursery nurse).
  • - EAL language support – Switch on
  • - EAL language support – Higher level of English
  • - Reading Recovery
  • - Project X Code
  • - First class @ number
  • - Phonics support
  • - Social skills group
  • - Direct Intervention
  • - Intensive interaction
  • - Mentoring for vulnerable pupils
  • - Established strategies and programmes for specific learning needs e.g. Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS), Social Stories etc.
  • - Children may have an Individual Education Plan (IEP) which sets clear targets and is reviewed at least termly.
  • - Specialist Speech Therapy assistant employed by the school for one day a week.

These interventions may differ during the school year. The school's SEN Panel regularly reviews the success of interventions and changes them as needed. Other interventions are implemented as necessary according to the needs of groups/individuals. If your child takes part in any of these interventions, their progress will be discussed with you at review meetings and/or parent consultation evenings.

We also follow programmes devised by outside agencies:
  • - Speech and Language programmes delivered by a trained Teaching Assistant reviewed by the Speech and Language Therapist annually.

If a child is already receiving support from an Occupational Therapist or Physiotherapists a school programme may be put in place.

What other types of support are avaliable for children at Roding?

Strategies and provision to promote the well-being of all children, including those with SEND:

  • - In–class Teaching Assistant support directed by Class Teacher as required to work with vulnerable or anxious pupils.
  • - Site specific Every Child Matters (ECM) Coordinator who works closely with parents and children to ensure that children are safe and happy in school.
  • - Learning Mentors who support children with behaviour and/or other difficulties.
  • - The PSHE curriculum and adaptations to it – some of which are tailor made activities to help children with issues such as anger management/handling conflict etc.
  • - CAMHS referral – Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service
  • - Links with The Sycamore Trust (support parents and children with Autistic Spectrum Disorder).
  • - Pre-visits for new children to the school with parents (led by ECM).
  • - Time Out and Quiet Areas in the playgrounds.
  • - Friendship Stops in the playgrounds.
  • - Individual Behaviour Plans
  • - One–to–one behaviour support from a designated adult.
  • - There is an Anti-bullying coordinator who:
    • - Monitors incidents of bullying
    • - Ensures the school has strategies in place to lessen incidents of bullying
    • - Works with children who have bullied others
    • - Works with children who identify themselves, or who have been identified by staff, as a victim of bullying
    • - Works with children who have bullied others
  • - Children may be directed to specific in-school clubs or lunchtime activities.
  • - If your child has a medical condition, the school nurse writes a Health Care Plan to be followed in school and trains staff on the necessary procedures.

What Facilities are available for children with SEND?

The school has two sites.

  • - The Hewett Road building is on one level and has step free access on a side door but not on the front entrance.
  • - The Early Years area has a shower and changing facilities.
  • - The site has a disabled toilet
The recently built Cannington Road Site meets all Government regulations with regards to disabled facilities.
  • - The site also has a paediatric changing table and hoist for disabled pupils.
  • - There is a sensory room which is available to children from both sites.

What other agencies provide support for children with SEND within school?

Roding works with a variety of agencies so that plans can be made to help children. We have regular meetings with the Educational Psychologist and Speech and Language Therapist to plan support for named pupils. After consultation with, and consent from parents the school can refer children to the following agencies:

  • - Educational Psychologists
  • - Speech and Language Therapist
  • - Occupational Therapist
  • - Physiotherapist
  • - School Nursing Team
  • - The Child Development Team-based at The Child and Family Centre Axe St.

Borough Inclusion Advisors support and advise schools in the following areas:
  • 1.Social Emotional and Mental Health
  • 2.Autistic Spectrum Disorder
  • 3.Children with Visual and Hearing impairment
The school would discuss this with parents before a referral is made.

How does the school share information about any extra support given to my child and the progress they make?

Once your child has been identified with SEND an Individual Education Plan (IEP) will usually be drawn up.

  • - The parents, class teacher and child meet to decide on clear targets and plan the strategies to meet these targets.
  • - Often different ways of consulting children may be used depending on their level of need and maturity.
  • - The plan will usually run for a term.
  • - The class teacher will assess the progress made and arrange a review meeting to share this information with parents and the pupil.
  • - You will be asked, as will your child (although this may be in a different way depending on your child's needs) to share your views on the progress made.
  • - All other relevant information will be discussed during this meeting, including the support you can offer at home.
  • - The class teacher will send you a copy of the completed review and the new IEP.
  • - SENCO support is available at any stage of the process as needed.
  • - Children making sustained good progress will be removed from SEN support.
  • - If there are concerns about progress the SENCO will discuss these with the parents and refer to an appropriate outside agency.

If your child takes part in any of the groups run by the intervention teachers, their progress will be discussed with you at review meetings and/or parent consultation evenings.

What support is there for parents and how can I support my child?

All children receive a home visit before they start nursery or reception. School staff will discuss any needs your child has and ways to help their children. Children who join the school at a later date are given a school visit and meet with the ECM (every child matters coordinator) for the relevant site. At this meeting any relevant information will be passed on.

Regular meetings with teachers and parents are arranged throughout the year where progress and ways you can help your child at home will be discussed.

Each year various events are held in school to inform parents about ways to help their children and how we teach certain subjects. Relevant year groups will be informed and such events will be published on the web site.

The school website outlines the work covered each term and ways parents can reinforce this (Roding review). The school blog also has activities linked to current work.(This can be accessed from the home page of the school website.)

The SENCos are available to discuss any concerns that you may have.

The ECM coordinators have information about local support agencies and can advise/ help you contact them or make a referral.

Details of the local organisations who offer support and advice to parents of children with special needs and disabilities can be found in the local offer on the borough website – see link below.

lbbd website

How do I make a complaint?

Most problems and complaints can be resolved by discussing them with the class teacher and/or the SENCo so that a solution can be agreed upon.

If this does not resolve the situation the next stage would be to contact the Site Head. Following this, if you wish to pursue the matter further, the next stage would be to take your complaint to the Governing Body.

What is an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC Plan)?

For a very small number of children more support will be needed. Such children may have a Statement of Special Educational Needs. From September 2014 these will be replaced by Education Health and Care Plans (EHC plans). It is anticipated that children who currently have a Statement will transfer to an EHC plan within three and a half years.

Schools request assessments for an EHC Plan when there is clear evidence that there is a high level of need. The Barking and Dagenham SEN Department decide if an assessment and further action is needed and will inform parents of their decision.

IF an EHCP is put in place it will identify the desired outcomes for the pupil, state what support is needed and outline how this support will be delivered.

For more information please see the relevant Barking and Dagenham Local offer section-link below.

lbbd website

What happens when my child leaves the school or moves to a different class?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for some children and we take steps to ensure that this is as smooth a process as possible.

When moving classes in school:

  • - At the end of the summer term the current and new class teacher meet in order to share all relevant information.
  • - The class are introduced to, and spend some time with, their new teacher.
  • - Transition meetings are held in the summer term for parents of:-Reception children who will be moving into Y1.
    • - Nursery children who will be moving into reception

If moving to another school:
  • - We contact the SENCO at the new school to share relevant information and organise any meetings or visits that are needed.

If arriving from another school:
  • - Visits and plans will be put in place depending on the needs of your child.

  • In Year 6:
    • - The school works closely with the Secondary schools and follows the borough procedures for transfers.
    • - In addition secondary schools are invited to the final review of SEND children.
    • - At this review any extra support that children may need to help them with the move to secondary school can be put in place.

How are teachers and classroom assistants trained to work with pupils with SEND?

  • - All staff receive regular training to improve teaching and learning.
  • - SENCOs are available to support teachers to plan for children with SEND.
  • - Whole school training (INSET) is used to deliver training where a need is identified.
  • - Individual teachers and classroom assistants are sent on courses, where available, to help them support children with specific difficulties.
  • - Classroom Assistants are given weekly training on a range of topics including supporting SEND pupils.
  • - Schools can request support and training from borough advisory staff and outside agencies e.g. Educational Psychologists, Speech therapists etc.