Roding Primary School


We hope that the following will provide you with the information you are looking for. If you are not able to locate the information you need, please contact the school via the school office at the site your child/ren attends or by the office email.

The following booklets provide information on the Nursery and Reception classes for both sites: Hewett Road Nursery
Hewett Road Reception
Cannington Road Nursery
Cannington Road Reception

What are the contact details for Roding Primary School?

Please contact the site that your child/ren attend. Site details are shown at the bottom of each page of the website.

Who should I contact if I have a question, query, concern or praise?

In the first instance, always talk to your child/rens teacher as in most circumstances this is sufficient. If you are not able to talk to your child/rens teacher, please refer to either the Head of Year or the Key Stage Leader. If you require an appointment to talk to another member of staff, please contact the site office who will be able to direct you to the appropriate person to talk to at the time or to book a future appointment.

What should I do if I want to request time off for a family holiday?

If you would like to book a family holiday, please complete the Holiday Authorisation Request form. Please note, your child's holiday will not be authorised if...

a) The holiday is before SATS (usually early May) and your child is in Year 6, or

b) Your child/ren has below average attendance.

The Governors will only authorise up to a maximum of 10 days holiday per year and will only authorise one holiday even if it is less than ten days. If you are taking your child on an extended holiday (more than 10 days) you must make an appointment to see the Site Headteacher.

Please return the form to the school office as soon as possible. We will write to you as soon as the request has been processed.
Holiday Authorisation Request form.

What is the uniform for the school?

The uniform for the school is as follows:

  • -Navy jumper, cardigan or sweatshirt.
  • -Navy shorts (not cycling shorts or pedal pushers), trouser, tracksuit bottoms, leggings, skirt, gingham dress or pinafore.
  • -White polo shirt or blouse. If children wear additional layers under their school tops these should also be white.
  • -Navy or white socks or tights.
  • -Sensible low heeled shoes or plain black trainers - no visible logos.
  • -Sun caps may be worn outside during the summer. Crop tops, bare shoulders and backless shoes are not allowed.
  • -Headscarves should be navy or white.
* All of the above must be plain and without any logo other than school emblem.

This also applies to out of school visits unless decided otherwise by the lead teacher e.g. trainers for a visit to the farm.

Can children wear jewellery to school?

Please note that the wearing of jewellery is strongly discouraged in school and cannot be worn during any aspect of P.E. The only jewellery allowed is:

  • -a simple stud earing
  • -a 'non-beeping' watch
Children are totally responsible for the safe keeping of these items.

Can children bring Mobile Phones to school?

Children are not allowed to bring mobile phones into school or on trips.

Mobile phones brought into school without permission will be confiscated and must be collected by a parent from the school office.

Can children bring personal items into school?

Children are not allowed to bring personal stationery, toys (of any kind), books etc. into school unless requested by a teacher to support a specific learning objective. If an item is required to support a lesson a note will be sent home to parents.

Can my child bring medicine into school?

Pupils may not bring prescribed medication, except asthma pumps, into school themselves.

Where children have medical needs, parents must give the school details of the child's condition and medication. Panel may decide that a HCP is needed and will arrange for one to be drawn up if necessary.

If a child has a short term medical need parents should are requested to ask GPs to prescribe medication that can be given before and after school. Parents or their representatives are permitted to attend school to give treatment at specified times if necessary. If parents have any questions about administering medicine to children they need to make an appointment with one of the school’s ECMs.

Parents of children with HCPs will bring any medication to school in a secure, labelled container. Records will be kept of all medication received and given. Emergency medication will be stored securely in designated places within the school; other drugs will be stored securely in the school office.

Where can I buy school uniform?

Plain navy and white clothes are available from most supermarket uniform clothes sections. Alternatively you can utilise the uniform shop which is located at Castle Green, Gale Street, Dagenham, Essex RM9 4UN.

The following link will take you to the Borough website for the Uniform Shop:

Castle Green Uniform Shop

What are the timings for the school day?

The school gates open at 8:50am and your child/ren are expected to be in class by 9:00am. The specific timings for each year group is as follows:

Nursery am: 8.50 - 11.50

Nursery pm: 12.20 - 3.20

Reception: 8.50 - 3.10

Key Stage 1 (years 1 and 2): 8.50 - 3.10

Key Stage 2 (yeat 3, 4, 5 and 6): 8.50 - 3.15

What do I do if my child goes to Breakfast Club at the Cannington Road site?

The breakfast club is open daily at the Cannington Road site from 7:30am and provides your child/ren with a nutritious breakfast in a safe and comfortable environment. They will also be given the opportunity to interact with school friends, read books and play games, whilst being supervised by trained staff.

Children should be escorted by an adult to the school dining hall via the Junior Playground entrance from 7:30am, your child/ren should not be left unaccompanied before this time. Some other important points to note are:

  • -Entry is not permitted after 8:15am.
  • -A weekly fee of £15 is payable, regardless of the number of sessions attended (including if your child/ren are off sick).
  • -One week's fee is to be paid as a deposit to secure a place.
  • -Fees are to be paid on Wednesday in advance.
  • -One weeks' notice to leave the club must be given in writing.
  • -Non attendance and/or non payment will result in the place being offered to the next person on the waiting list and your deposit will be retained.
  • -Breakfast club staff must be advised immediately of any changes to medical or contact details for you child/ren.

If you attend an Adult Learning Course, you may be eligible for assistance in paying for your child/ren to attend breakfast club. Please ask your Adult College for more information.

What do I do if my child/ren are absent?

Always phone the site office as early as possible if you child/ren is going to be absent from school. If they are going to be off school for an extended period (i.e. you have visited the doctor who has given a length of time the child/ren has to stay off school for), please advise the school. If you have not visited the doctor, please contact the school each day your child/ren is absent from school.

How do I apply for a Nursery or Reception place?

To apply for a Nursery place, please contact the site office you would like you child/ren to attend. They will ask you to complete a short form for your child/ren to be placed on the waiting list. For a Reception place, please go to the Borough's One Stop Shop to apply. Details for the location of these can be founf on the Borough's website One Stop Shop page.

Where do I collect my child/ren from if they attend an after school club?

If your child/ren attend an after school club, please collect them from the sites main office entrance. Please ensure that you are on time to collect your child/ren as it can be distressing for them if they are waiting.

What do I do about my child/rens dinner money?

The Borough runs a cashless catering service, all dinner monies are to be paid via Parentpay. Details for this can be found on the School Dinners page of this website.

Who do I give my child/rens school trip/activities money to?

Specific information regarding the payment of any trip or activiy money will be included within the letter which your child/ren will bring home. This information is also included within the trip entry in the school calendar. Please follow these instructions carefully.

Who is responsible for money in school?

Money for trips etc. is the children's responsibility. It should always be in an envelope with their name and class on it. Staff cannot take responsibility for looking after change, so please send in the correct amount whenever possible.

Please remember we cannot accept payment for school dinners in the office. School dinners must be paid for using your parent pay account. (See school website for further details)

School trip/photograph/sponsor money should be brought into school in an envelope with your child's name and class on it.

On school trips if spending money is allowed this will be clearly stated on the trip information letter. Spending money and any goods bought will be the children's responsibility.

Whenever possible please pay for Premier sports clubs online as this will guarantee a place, other money for clubs should be handed in at the school office in a named envelope.

What forms do I complete if I want to transfer my child/ren to another school?

You should only fill in this form if you live in Barking and Dagenham and you have parental responsibility for the child you are applying for. If you live outside Barking and Dagenham, you must fill in the form available from the borough or county council within the area you live.
Transfer Request Form